I didnt see the budget. I do not really know where Mr Dinesh Trivedi is coming from. I have only seen the bottomline of what he has done. That bottomline reads- “Fares hiked across the board “. The media is going Ga Ga over what a progressive step. He is a brave man. etc. See some of the links below. I do not have time and inclination to see what and how he has hiked the fares across all the categories. I wont waste my time on it .
I see the need to increase the revenue for railways as a long pending need. This need is very much like a 28 year old virgin starving to have sex. He can either be creative, charismatic and innovative to find a partner and satiate his need or he can have the easy option. He can go out and pay for the sex and get instant gratification. Yes, it does require courage to go to a whore and do it but it doesnt require a brain for which he can be praised. There is nothing in this act for which kudos can be showered.
Any service for which there are lakhs of captive users there can be 100s of ways of monetizing if you apply your head properly. Some examples :
- Run latest movie shows in long distance trains . Give them good wide screen and great acoustic system. Charge normal movie rates. Bored passengers can pre book shows.
- Run cyber cafes and allow people to access net for a charge.
- Do special discounted rate product sales like airlines.
- Do out of home advertisement in all compartments.
- Provide proper branded SPA services in the moving train.
- Open a bar let guys drink in moderation. // Put in proper Bouncers.
- Provide premium food // People pay Rs 150 for Biryani in flights and many of air passengers often travel on trains
- Let some private players also run trains in select routes like Delhi- Jaipur // Tatas would love to run it
- Provide special coaches dedicated to E commerce companies between metros daily . // They will ship crazy amounts
- Put 1000s of displays which can be displayed to lakhs of captive passengers every day. // It can bring in Ad revenues bigger than IPL
and Mamata has rightly given it.
A stupid article by Vivek Sahai, Former Chairman, Railway Board praises him for total lack of creativity