I have seen paper napkins become ubiquitous in all offices. Probably this has the genesis in human laziness/ discomfort in carrying traditional hankies. What this has led to is tremendous amount of paper consumption besides increasing the operational variable cost of companies. This also is linearly dependent on no. of employees. More paper usage means more felling of trees or consumption of more energy to recycle the used ones. Greater energy consumption would mean greater load on power plants. The power plants will then consume more fossil fuel and lead to spiralling fuel prices. Spiralling fuel prices would mean greater inflation and then everybody in the end will be a loser. Even the so called nuclear alternative for energy is not a panacea. The rate at which we have started consuming energy, even Uranium reserves will vanish. The remedy lies in lowering our consumption of disposables. Here are a few steps every world citizen can take at home to help save the environment.
- Carry a hanky, avoid using the paper napkins as far as possible at offices, restaurants.
- Always carry 2 cloth bags in your bike/car. This way you can minimise requirement of plastic bags from fruit, vegetable vendors.
- Buy a good PUF insulated 2 litre water bottle. This keeps the water cold for more than 7 hrs as against 0.5 hrs of so called mineral water. Further, research has shown that when you drink a lot of water during your outings your tendency to spend becomes less than half. This saves you more money for you more useful needs. Avoid buying packaged water.
- Get back to consuming glass bottled cola/ softdrinks. Take away bottles are choking the environment besides inflating the margins of cola companies.
- Avoid using sachetsfor shampoos atleast for a few months before monsoons; these small plastics choke the drainage and are major cause of flood in cities like Bombay and Pune. in fact small sachet was a ploy of FMCG companies to decrease their threshold and increase consumption. The author of millionaire next door book has discovered and explained that greater is the consumption ,lesser is the accumulation of wealth in families, society and homes.
- When travelling to office alone , consider the possibility of travelling by bike, car pool, cycle as applicable. Its disgusting seeing vehicles weighing 2200kg gross ferrying just one person weighing 70kg a distance of 15km too and fro from homes. So much of fuel is wasted in overcoming self weight of vehicle( 90 to 97%) just to show status .The % of human weight is only 3% . Drive lighter vehicles with lesser self weight , use public transport or use cycles this will save fuel, keep you healthy and eliminate need of buying weightloss programmes, enrolling in gym or starving yourself to look sexier.
- Take a home as close to office as possible. This helps you avoid the traffic stress, burn less fuel, have more time for yourself , family besides making bicycling a very practical option