The site of truck loads taking dies and equipment from Singur is going to be an ever lasting memory for the residents , well wishers, farmers, Industrial workers , and every one associated with this erstwhile leading Industrial state of India. While the hope is that the State doesnt slip into an economic abyss, the mood and sentiment can only be other wise. Here is what can probably come into minds of various categories of people when looking back.
- The Corporate community : Fools die hard. Ratan was a damned fool, we advised him not to look at this plagued state but he was iridiscent. He said- ” If I am convinced about something , I will say so even if some body puts a revolver on my temple. I am convinced that Singur is the place from which first Nano should roll out”. Probably , his conviction was as good as Muhammad Tughluq who had great vision and conviction but was killed because of his lack of real politik and practicality.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_bin_Tughluq. Its good we did not follow his lead. Satyam has pulled out its investment plan. Infosys has frozen its investment plan of 1500 crore and is said to be contemplating expanding in Pune rather than this Bhodrolok. HM had long back realised this and moved its Lancer production to Chennai. Last time , Bhodro lok(Gentlemen) had fingered ITC and they had threatened to pull its head quarters out of Kolkata. That was the last time communist itch had surrendered to coroporate vexation. Probably its the state where only meideval agricultural techniques or strikes can flourish.
- The Educated working class : We do not know how long we will have to suffer this communist rule or rowdies like Momota di. We need to migrate to states like Maharshtra, Bangalore, NCR for our livelihood but what if there is backlash and the sons of soil in those states start beating/ pushing us to where we belong. J&K , North East and Maharshtra are already becoming immigrant hostile. Where shall we return to ? I have never voted in the state ( My work, my fear for Bombs, my disgust about contesting candidates etc) and that doesnt encourage any one with my kind to even think of contesting. Its the chengdas(ruffians) who vote and its their reps who get elected. I cant do any thing for my state but dream. Dream that some day things will change and they will become better. Its then, I will come back and enjoy the Bhalo pukur(pond), misti(sweets) and Aab hawa batash( the weather and air) of Baangal.
- The Environmentalists : Thank god the industry is gone. Now we will have eco friendly fields where trees will grow and the nature can grow unfettered. I have heard that tatas spread a lot of ash and chemicals on the plant ground to ensure that flora /fauna do not grow and cripple the foundation of concrete. So this will ensure that no crop will grow there for next 10 ytears. We must launch an awareness campaign on the ecological damage caused due to this and sue tatas. This will add to their already monstrous 1500 crore loss but catching such a big corporate house on wrong environment foot will make us more famous and let us grab more news headlines and donations from world over.
- The romantics of Bengal : We will no longer have the cacophony of blaring furnaces , lathes, and sheet metal stomping noise. Late in the evenings Goru and gaadhas( cows and donkeys) will plough the fields ,the bells around their neck will ring sweeet sounds around which I will compose a sweet poem about a beautiful bhodro mohila(Gentle lady) who is cooking Eylish( Most revered fish) in the open kitchen.. We will have more Shanti(peace) in aamader gram(our village) and we will sing melancholy strains.
- The Commies : Oh Lenin, this lady has turned our nemesis or is it our own wrong doings. By Marx we were never supposed to support Industry and are born to put thorns in the flesh of all industrialists. We must confess the unholy marriage between Buddha and Tata. We must crucify him and make him pay for his sins. We ridiculed him for deriding Bangla Bandhs and hartals. Now , Momta has hijacked our ideals and taken up the case of chasees(peasant farmers). Now we must go back to our basics and launch a fresh rounds of protibaad(protests) and hortaals(Strikes). For all captalists entering Bong Bhoomi we probably can put this
—- to be continued