11 years after I hung my uniform as an air force officer. I am trying to remember if I ever chanted “Bharat mata ki jai” when in military. 6 years across 6+ military bases I served, how many times did I chant “Bharat mata jai “? I can for sure say I said “Jai Hind” a million times( Average 50+ times a day). But ” भारत माता की जय ” ? I think ” ZERO “. This surprises me and may be it will shock 1000s of chaddi nationalists a lot more. At epitome of national service, you do not need to chant this mantra. I am hopeful, this is not giving an idea to some jerk in Sangh HQ to wake up and destroy the beautiful salutation culture of our glorious armed forces.
Looking back on the day when I was to take oath to defend India with all my vigour even to peril of my life, I had 2 choices
- Take oath on Gita or
- Just affirm as an individual.
I chose to do affirmation. I didnt swear putting my right hand on Gita or Sita. 22 of my 24 course mates did but I believed that the commitment I make as an individual, in my full conscience and wisdom doesnt need crutch of any religion or book. I was questioned why I wont take oath on Gita though I am a Hindu? I answered that my flavor/vision of Hinduism is not congruent to everything that Gita preaches. My argument was accepted. Imagine doing this in any other religious or theocratic nation, I will be labelled blasphemist and bled to death. To me, this is the most solid idea of India Hinduism and its grandiose सहिष्णुता
Growing up, I thought the God factory in heaven(ऊपर) stopped producing Devis+ Devtas+ Maatas+ Baaps in 560 BC ( After Buddha) but reality is quite different. Today, as I see a lot of irritating jingoism on “Mata” chant. A quick search on Bharat mata reveals that it was first conceived in a fictitious play , Bhārat Mātā by Kiran Chandra Bannerjee . It was first performed in 1873. So, in reality is it not just another figment of imagination of this Bhodro (Baangali) playwright during British rule?. Whats so sacred about it?
The story on Bharat mata can be read here
Surprisingly, anyone can add few additional pairs of limbs, put a lion/tiger+ sun halo behind, add one weapon in each hand, top it up with a mukut and lo, a new deviji / maataji, baapji is created. Practically there is nothing stopping imaginative folks from creating Maratha maata, Patna Maiya, Guntoor Tanni or say JhoomariTalaiya maa. All it takes in this digital age is Photoshop. Blockheads can claim that not bowing to it is against Nationalism / Regionalism or city / Mohallaism
I agree, “Mata/Mataram” did become a battle cry for some freedom fighters but so did ” Bole so Nihal, Allah u akbar or Har Har mahadev or, Joi ma kaali or Jai Gorkhali or Chak de fatte. Everyone had a choice to pick the battle cry which galvanized folks around to fight a common battle. It was the pluralism of battle cries which allowed folks to win multiple battles and ultimately the war. Every chant served some purpose just as every color contributes to make a rainbow beautiful. Pick your own indigo or orange but dont try to shove your choice of color up somebody’s…. you know what.
I had always been critical of deification of objects in Hinduism. From पाताल (Core of earth) to पेड़(tree) to पृथ्वी(earth) to penis does everything need to be a devta? This 33 Karod devi devta concept never appealed to me but I often liked एकेश्वरवाद – एक साधे सब सधे , सब साधे सब जाय.
What do these mata chants have to do with a diverse, multifaith, multi ethnic pluralistic nation like India? What does it have to do with Hinduism other than its crudest form? What objective does this kind of deification handle other than
- Oversimplification of some objective to align the low intellect junta around it?
- Create another non taxable revenue stream (Read temples) to help Birlas / Bajajs and other wealthies to run trusts around it to convert black into white and white into silvers?
- Celebrate a day with some silly rituals, extort money, eat up calorie bombs, create traffic nuisance and strew the rivers and oceans with a lot of garbage ?
I am not from a religion which prohibits me to bow in front of anybody other than Allah. I am not prohibited to say Jai to anyone. As a free thinking man, my intellect revolts at mindless and reckless devification. Its utterly obnoxious to have a devata of every kind popping in front of me randomly from anywhere/ anyday expecting genuflection. I just wont do it. If a person like Javed Akhtar transgresses his religious bounds and chants Bharat mata, its his conviction and freedom to do it. If Owaisi doesnt want to say it, shouldnt he have the liberty to do it? Why should someone call him a a pig for it?
Why we debase the profound vedic shloka – जननी, जन्म भूमिश्च , स्वर्गादपि गरीयसी ( Heaven is found in the lap of mother and land of birth). Please note the usage of जन्मभूमि not मातृभूमि
We need to create more robust belief and value system around Nationalism and Hinduism in particular which can stand the onslaught of any critique or rational inquiry. Continuing to believe in ugly dogmas, stupid rituals and irrational beliefs or practicing them makes a mockery of your own intellect and our highly evolved religion.
Advantage Hinduism is: Its not driven by the communication someone received secretly in a cave. It does not shut down free constructive thought(शास्त्रार्थ) . Its not constrained or limited. The buck does not stop at any book. Not even Gita or Ramayana or Vedas can claim to be all encompassive of what Hinduism stands for. Its beautifully non prescriptive religion. It encourages you to be a contemplative and free thinking human. Empathy is what has kept this faith relevant.
आत्मनः प्रतिकूलानि परेषाम न समाचरेत.
If you wont like someone else’s ideology/faith thrust on you, do not thrust yours on them. If Hinduism could survive 600 yrs of murderous Islamic rule and 200 yrs of missionary lure, it can very well withstand ugliness emerging from within, in form of Sakshi maharajs, Amit Shahs or Muttaliks. We can evolve, we can mutate, we can create new releases, versions of our faiths, we need not create more gods, more maatas and baapas.
Recently, I was evaluating a very large enterprise software (U$ 100 Mn+ type ) for redesign with a project sponsor. She told me – “ Everybody added a lot of crap on this software whenever they felt like but no one bothered to clean it up ever. So what you see is a lot of junk all around which makes little sense “ .. Same I believe is the case with Hinduism as a religion. Everybody when they felt like added their bit of crap, no body ever cleaned it up. So here we are with a lot of junk.
If you wish to start on some introspection of Hinduism as a faith, a good point to begin may be here :
“Ëither Article 370 stays or Kashimir will not be part of India“- tweeted Omar Abdullah and it got me into recollecting Nawabjadas born into a ancestral property and too spoilt to see reason. To me he appears like another pappu ( A Kashmiri one) who has been pampered a lot. A baby in infancy is given a lot of cool things. Some examples are:
- Umblical chord in womb (Direct delivery of nutrients to stomach, no need to masticate),
- Breast feed (Optimally warm, sweet milk from uber soft nipples),
- Diapers ( Freely do potty and susu whenever and wherever kid wants), and
- A milk bottle ( Kid still gets almost same pleasure as sucking on to a human nipple) etc.
Dhritarashtra is one of the biggest pivotal character of Mahabharata. It was he who kick started the most epic battle ever in history of mythical mankind. Such is the immortality of learnings from this battle that we can quickly relate to repeat of human behaviors in our current lives. Lets see Sonia Gandhi’s love for her son Owl G for instance and assess how the analogy fits in :
1. Denial and vengeance : Dhrita was the eldest son and a rightful heir to Hastinapur. He was denied the privilege of being a king because of his disability ( Being blind ). He forever held vengeance to the injustice done to him. Sonia led Congress party to victory in UPA -I after Sitaram Kesri has screwed it up. She was rightful to become the PM but was denied ascendance because of technicality ( Citizenship, Non reciprocity* with Italy as a nation). // Italy doesnt allow an Indian born to become PM of Italy, so India cannot have an Italian born as PM.How many wins you have in elections and even if you lead the majority party, it doesnt matter. Sonia since then had a ever burning vengeance and wanted to avenge the denial .
2. Blind love for son : Dhrita was madly in love with the idea of his son becoming king of Hastinapur even though he was the least capable and totally devoid of talent. As a father, he set aside all propriety and ethics to back the cause “Duryodhan as a king“. Sonia has followed a similar line in pushing his totally incompetent son “Pappu as PM”, to the hilt. In the middle of UPA II , Pranab Mukherjee started appearing as the tallest, most natural and deserving leader of the party ( Crisis management, Diplomacy, Respect of opposition) . This put Sonia’s lust under threat. The way Pandavas were sent to 12 yrs of Vanavaas ( Exile) and 1 year Agyaatwas ( Incognito exile) Sonia had to send Pranab da into a political exile. The difference being Pranab was not willing and under obligation to go on exile. Finally, Sonia put her feet down and said as long as she is alive, she cant have anyone potent as a PM. That person will not pull his pants down when Pappu grows up. Pranab realized the Sonia has sharp teeth and she would bite. Compromisingly, he put a price to exile and agreed to be the President.
Another similarity is in the way Kauravas tried to get Pandavas killed and their friends killed.Two of the most powerful congress leaders ( Rajesh Pilot and Madhav Rao Scindia) who could have towered to challenge Pappu, died mysterious deaths.
She backed her son against and beyond his total worthlessness ( Loss in every assembly campaign he led and now likely the worst performance ever in Loksabha ).
3. Shakuni and Diggi raja : Shakuni was an uncle of Duryodhana and the biggest con man or spin doctor/ propagandist of Kauravas. He became Duryodhan’s mentor and played all ugly games to try and defeat the Pandavas. In Congress there is Digvijay Singh ( A man of ugly morals ) mentoring Pappu. He played all ugly games to let the ugly rule prevail.
While there are some striking coincidences in 2 threads, we do not know whether Congress just like Kauravas will get totally annihilated in the Kurukshetra of 2014 leading to a Congress Mukt bharat. We will have to wait till tomorrow.
Do you see more elements of congruence in characters or events in these 2 stories ?
Is Sonia the most apt personification of Dhritarashtra ever ( Blind to incompetence and unworthiness of Pappu) ?
There are some candidates who must win to have a progressive India. Good people who have served the nation and have done a remarkable job must win. Alas, politics is always infested with dirt. These dirts also win and shake the faith of people in democracy. Like in movies we want villains to die horrible death, as citizens we want stinking politicos to face horrible defeats. Wrong people winning because of money or muscle, or sperm source lead to fatalism in citizens. We all secretly and at heart wish they must lose. I know all 10 will not lose and we will never have perfect 10 but higher the score better it is.
Here are my top 10 must lose candidates and the reason why they must lose( Cutting across party lines) :
10. Ashok Chavan ( Nanded )- Congress : The Adarsh tainted former Maharshtra CM must bite the dust to leave a 5 finger slap mark on cheek of Sonia. She was showing legality to field him overlooking propriety of criminal conduct. Janta tumhein maaf nahi karegi
9. L K Advani ( Gandhi Nagar ) – BJP : The symbol of political lust must lose from Gandhinagar to give a strong message that there is a sunset age for most demanding profession. At age of 86 , rust, lust must bite the dust. go look after your grandchildren old man. Make way
8 Kapil Sibbal ( Chandni Chowk ) Congress : He had been one of the most hated figures for his arrogance. At one of the visits to Chandni chowk after an accident, public was so angry that he was not even allowed to come out of his car. He must loose to bring in humility in politicians.
7. Jaswant Singh ( Jaisalmer ) Gaddar independent : This was political ambition at its ugliest. The person who derived all the maal from the party when he could and when denied a ticket, rebelled and contested as independent. This is worst show of indiscipline. People must teach him a lesson
6. Shazia Ilmi Malik( Ghaziabad ) AAP : One of the worst b****s in the politics who was advocating muslims to go communal in this election. A tight slap on her face will keep all the candidates sane in forthcoming elections.
5. Supriya Sule ( Baramati ) NCP and other litters of big polticos : She and like other like her are infesting the political firmament and treat LS constituencies as a Baap ki jaageer. Her idiot cousin was threatening the voters ( Bahut masti chadhi hai kya..? Agar Supriya ko vote nahi diya to paani kaat doonga ). Other must loose in the same category are Milind( Koila Chor) Deora, Priya( Parole buying)Dutt, Sachin( Chikna) Pilot, Jyoti(Baba) Scindia, Kanimozhi ( spectrumChor), Omar( Abdulla, Abhijeet Mukherjee, Sandeep Deepshit, Jr Chidambaram, Varun (Retard) Gandhi . The message to buggers should be : You have all the wealth and capacity to become a scientist, musician , author, sportsperson, or a artist. Dont spoil our taste by showing us your ugly pedigree.
4. Arvind Kejriwal ( Varanasi ) AAP : The nautanki-baaj just got too greedy after limited Delhi success. He got intoxicated and drunk with small success to think he had everything in his pocket. Thriving on nuisance value, he has grabbed TV time by just contesting NaMO.
3. Owl Gandi ( Amethi) Congress : He is one of the biggest human waste to ever come out of a human. Good for nothing moron must loose for never visiting his constituency in last 5 yrs and being the most inactive MP in Loksabha in this term.
2. Sonia Gandi ( Rae Bareilly ) Congress : For showing her ugly colors of bribing the Shahi Imaam of Jama masjid and seeking muslim votes under a secret deal. It was politics of the worst kind.
1. Narendra Modi ( Baroda ) Gujarat : A PM candidate who is so unsure about his place, wants to make a political statement from a religious city, holds on to CM , MLA post and is most likely to divorce this city if wining from both . Baroda guys must hit back for being made to feel like a second wife.
What are your choices for must lose candidates ?
Who among these 10 you think should not lose for the reasons mentioned?
What do you think the correct message score of this election will be out of 10 ?
Interested to know your thoughts.
I was on my routine cycling trip this evening. I passed through a chicken shop. I have passed through it a 1000 times without observing much. Today, I saw its rate board. It said LIVE chicken Rs 115/kg and dressed chicken Rs 130/kg. I was thinking, defeathering the bird is an exercise involving real human labor and considering time and effort, it should at least Rs 10/= . This brings me the important figure of life of that bird . It is
Rs 130 ( LIVE)- Rs 115( defeathered and killed bird )- Rs 10 ( Cost of defeathering ) = Rs 5 ( Cost of life of that bird)
I was thinking that if after all this improvement in science , genetics, bio technolnogy even with 5 billion dollars we can’t inject life in a dead body but Rs 5 is enough to take it out of the body ?
I am not being overtly sentimental or sissy about it. I know it wont make an iota of difference to people who have grown up eating birds. Let alone convert even 0.0001 % of them, it even wont get a microscopic % of them into some sort of a thinking.
The 3 questions I have are :
- Is the life so cheap?
- When we cant give life ,how do we take it ?
- Is it worth taking life for when 1000 other ways to fulfill hunger exist ?
PS: An article which says that we cant stop global warming unless we stop eating too much meat. http://www.salon.com/2014/03/31/we_cant_stop_global_warming_unless_we_start_eating_a_lot_less_meat/
“This is really fast ” said Mr Pandit ( name changed ) one of the resident owners. He was commenting on my impatience with the speed of prosecution. I have currently taken up a big battle to unmask massive corruption in my residential society. Distt Deputy Registrar ( DDR) and Deputy Registrar of society Pune City for societies are exchanging letters to bring the corrupt to the book. He further elaborated – ” The first step here should be to totally insulate them; take away their right to spend our hard earned money. “. I had been following up with Registrar of societies ( RoS ) for last 3 months and now the formal investigation on grounds of financial crime is about to begin. The office bearers in our society office had illegally done spending of our maintenance fund without General body approval. Read the original story here
Why should this concern all of us ?
We all probably live in or will be living in residential societies where corruption /misappropriation/ can occur. A typical residential society of 400 apartments can have a fund of 1 crore+. The so called volunteers to selflessly serve the society can have their morals taking long vacation when they smell so much money. This may lead to huge leakage of your cash and dilapidated state of your residential society. Either you can accept that corruption citing various reasons ( from lack of time, awareness, intent or chalta hai etc) or will have an urge to fight this disease. Its when you decide to fight, will need to know how to proceed. The path to justice is long and torturous. The officers who tried to prosecute Laloo Yadav spent 17 yrs to send the scoundrel to jail. You may need to be mentally prepared to fight for months, if not years. I am already in my 4th month 🙂
How often is this kind of fight done ?
Very rarely. 99.9% of such cases of corruption either go unnoticed or people forget about it. Often they are too lazy to even confront the corrupt. The govt procedures of addressing these crimes is too slow and tests your patience and tenacity to extremes.
Why people do not raise voices ?
Its excruciating to fight against corrupt both at lower and higher levels. For example, if some scoundrel makes a backdoor entry into society office position, its very tedious to throw the him out. They have society funds to hire legal advisors, crook accountants and 5 to 6 partners in crime. You may have to initially hack it all relentlessly
Why is it difficult to throw scoundrels out ?
Most of the people in societies either are not aware about implications of corruption or take it as a part of their ordinary lives. They seldom rise against the corrupt. most believe, its somebody else’s job to fight corruption. Those who rise against corruption have to fight a machinery ( Administration, Sympathisers of corrupt, security employed and inertia of people ). The cases of illegal committees ( Folks who get into office without getting elected ) of society offices are not dislodged by Registrars any more. One has to go to Co Operative court to challenge that. Going to court means hiring a co operative lawyer and paying his fee. This is enough to give an ordinary citizen jitters. While the crusader has to pay legal charges from her own pocket, the scoundrels have war chest of maintenance fund at their disposal which they utilize to engage legal advisor, bribe civic officials, forge documents with help of corrupt chartered accountants and circulate false justification using society resources.
Alternate method of throwing illicit and corrupt committee out is by calling an Extra ordinary general meeting ( EOGM)expressing no confidence against the dishonest and corrupt.
Why EOGM method is a difficult thing ?
Calling an EOGM for no confidence requires written signature of 33 % of members ( As a norm only less than 25% of resident owners attend society meetings ). This means if you have 100 members in society and you want to throw the corrupt out , while you need 33 signatures, you can only reach out only 25 people. Often out of the 25 active members 10 to 12 may already be huddled in crime. Further, to boot the corrupt out, you need 2/3rd people voting them out. This means in a society of 100 apartments, you need 67 people voting out . Or if its permissible 2/3rd of attending members. This means if 25 attend the meeting you need 17 people to vote the corrupt out. If the committee comprises 10 members, mathematically , it may never happen. Its a scenario like no matter how much you hate Congress and its crimes you cant throw it out for 5 yrs because they manage the floor using Mayas, Mulayams, Karunanidhis and Sharad Pawars.
What is the way out ?
Society is like a cell of democracy and none of the provisions work unless there is large participation from all the owners. With 25% or less voting and participation, crooks invariably win . We, thus have the state of society like that of the nation where the ugliest crooks float to the top. Its important that there is large voting turn out ( >75% ) to select people . Also it must be ensured that only the members who are elected through voting become the office bearers. There needs to be an internal lokpal in all societies with power to suspend Chairmen/President/ Secretary/ Treasurer if there are sufficient grounds for dishonesty , corruption or procedural impropriety.
This is what I have done in my society till date in my fight against corruption :
Its been 3.5 months now since I first started it all. This is how the pieces on chessboard look like
- The accused still disgrace the office . Few or many steps away from check mate ( I do not know)
- The District Deputy Registrar has requested an eight point response ( In hard core Marathi even difficult for Marathi professor to understand ) for detailed inquiry to proceed. This moved some of my pieces into central square
- The evidences which justify detailed inquiry are ready with me.
- The thick skinned refuse to vacate the office. In professional chess, no player waits for the check mate. They resign when they have some irrecoverable disadvantage like a major piece loss or a vulnerability. However in real life, the shameless till they are driven out with force cling on. Fools die hard, crooks die harder
- A lot of paper crimes, dishonesty has been perpetrated example : showing an audit report on a date it didn’t exist. Falsifying the minutes of meeting of AGM, misusing office staff for personal service, etc. When people who are cheats get caught and are incriminated, they try to be even bigger cheats.
- As per Maharashtra Co op act, 15 clear days before AGM, the committee needs to circulate audited books of accounts to the members. The crooks in my society sent unaudited balance sheet and asked for approval for audited report which no one had seen. In layman’s term its like taking an approval of financial crimes without even you knowing that crime has happened
- The counter move from those seeking justice has been to submit a written request from over 30 residents to Dy Registrar that AGM held was illegal.
- Momentum often works against the weak. Approx 70% of people voting in AGM have given in writing that they want the corrupt to be dismissed.
- The partners in crime have gone into a huddle trying to delay the incrimination. Some stooges croak in between on trivial issues to divert attention from the main issue of corruption
- The society and its residents suffer as the apartments get the least resale and rental values in its area.
- The wheel of justice though slow, is moving in a right direction to ensure that guilty gets exemplary punishment.
If however you persist with right process there is always hope for justice : Watch Shawshank Redemption to understand it 🙂